The Custom Incentives Program offers incentives for projects that include technologies and/or
customer specific energy efficiency projects that do not meet the eligibility criteria for Potomac Edison business programs.
To qualify for custom incentives, projects must have a payback
between one and seven years before applying incentives. All custom project applications must
include all technical information and documentation. Projects are incentivized at $0.05/kWh saved.
Some combined heat and power plants (CHP) are now eligible for incentives from the Business Programs.
Please see the CHP application form for eligibility criteria.
Possible custom projects include:
Examples of projects/technologies that do NOT qualify for Custom
- Upgrade of an existing industrial process
- New construction or renovation projects that involve multiple building systems (i.e. lighting, HVAC, and building envelope)
- Replacement of an existing motor
speed control with a new VSD
- Installation of a VSD controlling more than
- Replacement of motors greater than 200 hp
- Water/wastewater system improvements
- Building control systems such as demand control ventilation, exhaust air heat recovery and economizers
- Compressed air system upgrades
- New and emerging technologies
- Power factor correction devices
- Motor soft starts
- Renewable energy technologies that generate electricity (i.e. solar
photovoltaic, wind generation, micro-hydroturbines, etc)
- Any electric generation projects
- Fuel switching (i.e. replacement of an electric chiller with an absorption
These programs support the EMPOWER Maryland Energy Efficiency Act. Costs will be recovered through a monthly surcharge on customer bills. Participation in these programs can help offset this surcharge.